The Old Bear

Default The Hershey's Wrapper Scandal

Richard Kaszeta > writes:

>From: Richard Kaszeta >
>Newsgroups: rec.food.baking
>Subject: The Hershey's Wrapper Scandal
>Date: 13 Nov 2003 10:46:00 -0600
>
>But it does remind me of when they moved Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
>(hey, we all eat junk food on occasion...) to plastic wrappers---to
>me, the quality went downhill, because I discovered that I actually
>liked Reese's better when it was slightly stale (the peanut butter
>would harden up), and the new packaging kept it entirely too fresh.

Hey, Diogenes... over here... quick... an honest man!

For many years, one of the more popular items offered for sale at
intermission at a local theatre is individually wrapped 3.5cm
squares of Ghirardelli chocolate of both dark bittersweet and milk
chocolate varieties.

See: http://www.ghirardelli.com/products.cfm?cat_id=1

For years these have come wrapped in foil which is easy to remove
and virtually silent when opened by those who bring a couple of
pieces back to nibble at their seats during the second act. Alas,
no more -- last year Ghirardelli switched to sealed plastic
packaging which has the strength of the Mylar that NASA used for
its first communications satelite.

In theory, these small envelopes should open silently along a seam.
But, as it is difficult to figure out how this seam is folded -- and
virtually impossible in the dark -- one hears members of the audience
trying to rip these open with their fingernails, teeth, housekeys, or
any other implement of destruction they may have on their persons.

Ah, the play may open to popular acclaim, but the chocolates do not.

Cheers,
The Old Bear