Posted to alt.food.vegan
nyx nyx is offline

Default I'm considering being a vegetarian...

Kevan Smith wrote:
> In article >, "Dutch" >
> wrote:
>

>>I think both of you are missing the truth from opposite ends. People don't
>>deserve moral brownie points for raising livestock, that's absurd, but
>>calling their lives a living hell is just hyperbole designed to inflame.
>>Animals in such a state would not thrive and unhealthy animals is not good
>>business. Also, saying categorically that slaughter is inhumane is just
>>untrue. Check out this site
>>http://www.grandin.com/survey/2005.r...nt.audits.html These audits
>>reveal when there are problems. These issues have been decreasing steadily
>>over the years, and when sound practises are employed, few problems are
>>reported.

> I am specifically singling out large factory farms. Life for animals on
> those farms is indeed a living hell. They definitely do not thrive, and
> they are often unhealthy. Sick and diseased animals do make it into the
> human food chain that way.

Even if you are a meat eater, I think you should be concerned about
this. Since vegans don't consume meat, they have their concerns over the
welfare of the animals, valid and they should be allowed that reason.
One of the MAIN reasons I won't consume meat/poultry/pork is BECAUSE of
this filth! It is just plain unsanitary, and gross! These large factory
farms care so much about the bottom line ($$$$), the consumer's health
is very much secondary.

This is just an example of our econimic society in general, where the
bottom line is more important than the health of people. This is not
JUST an animal right issue, but a PEOPLE issue. (and remember, people
are animals too!!!)

The Kraft, General Mills, Pepsi, Coke etc are just as bad, feeding a
nation of poison chemicals. These large companies don't care about the
health of their consumers, only the dollars. 150 years ago, our
ancestors didn't have these worries. The food supply was not so tainted.