Posted to alt.food.asian
Amanda Amanda is offline

Default question about fish paste and shrimp paste

ian wrote:
> Amanda wrote:
>
> > Steve Wertz wrote:

[..]

> > What is your reason of suggesting me to stay away from it? Smell or
> > other reasons?

> Amanda - he's playing with you.

I see.

> As long as the thing is cooked properly there is no reason why it should be unsafe.

Good. What about the preservatives? Did they put too much of it in
those bottles? The one I got to look at was from Laos and it says
"snakehead" on the bottle. We grew up with that fish - fresh version.
It's a very tasty fish. Oh, I have another friend (from my country) who
said that he uses a particular brand from Thailand. I told him to buy
me a bottle when he visits us so that I would get the brand name.

I like the way those people were eating their steam veges with that
fish paste dish with rice. Gee, my friend shouldn't have talked me out
of it. I was planning to get those people show me which bottle to buy
sot hat I could try coking like them but only in the back yard outside
the house. I have a hot plate.

BTW, do you think there is still protein in those fish paste (raw)?
Does protein in fish denatured when treated like that? I guess this is
sci.bio.* question but i doubt that they jave info on this item.

> As he said, why would millions of people be using something if it was so unhealthy?
>
> Also, some things, such as fish sauce, don't smell very good, but they
> combine deliciously with other spices and sauces.

Yes, I use fish sauce - just a few drop - in one dish but I can't eat
it frequently cus the sauce (made with "boiled fish meat cooked with
spice" and roasted rice powder in fish broth made with with lemon
grass, etc. ) they make is not high enough in protein for me.

I use noodle made from wheat flour but kind of looks like rice noodle
(but now I realized that it doesn't taste the same at all) and I made
my version using yellow split peas - boiled - instead of roasted rice
powder but nobody, not even my siblings, would say it's that dish- I
used to be satisfied with mine but now, I realized how far off it was
from the authentic version and don't feel too motivated to make.