Posted to rec.food.cooking
Rich[_1_] Rich[_1_] is offline

Default Chili question (Or maybe it should be chile question)

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

Rich wrote:
> I was looking at the recipe for last year's winning recipe at the
> International Chili Society's World Championship Chili Cookoff, and there
> are a couple of ingredients I don't understand.
>

> "1 tablespoon hot chile powder
> 1 tablespoon mild chile power
> 5 tablespoons red chile powder"
>

> It's not at all clear to me what these three ingredients are. I buy my
> spices at Penzey's or at the local supermarket, and neither has products

Penzeys sells regular, medium, and hot chili powder... you need to pay
closer attention.

Penzey's sells regular, medium, and hot chili powders, blends all. The
championship recipe calls for chile (with an "e") powders, implying that
they are ground chiles without other ingredients. Penzey's sells those, too,
but they are not labeled "hot," "mild," and "red." I really want to
replicate this recipe as closely as possible, and I doubt that its author
actually used four different blended products (including the Gebhardt®).

> that are described as above. I presume that they are pure ground chiles,
> but
> which varieties of chiles? Any guesses?

I don't guess, I know. Chili powder is a blend of mostly ancho peppers,
with cumin, oregano, garlic powder, and salt.

Pure chili pepper is called "ground/powdered chili pepper".

Actually, it's called "ground/powdered chile (with an 'e') pepper."

> Also, does anybody know what ingredients are in Gebhardt® chile powder?

Probably the same as most other commercial chili powders... I prefer
Penzeys because it's fresh/potent, and contains no salt. I see no
point in mixing my own chili powder... one can always add more cumin,
more oregano, more hot pepper, to Penzeys.

Once again, I'm trying to replicate the recipe that wowed the judges. If I
can figure out the ingredients in Gebhardt® chili powder, I can decide
whether I really need to use the product, (I'm not trying to impress
ConAgra) or if the other ingredients can be adjusted to cover the Gebhardt®
flavors. If it's just anchos, cumin, oregano, and garlic powder, those
ingredients are already in the recipe independently, so why bother?

Thanks for your help, though.

--Rich