Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Chili question (Or maybe it should be chile question)

Rich wrote:
> I was looking at the recipe for last year's winning recipe at the
> International Chili Society's World Championship Chili Cookoff, and there
> are a couple of ingredients I don't understand.
>

> "1 tablespoon hot chile powder
> 1 tablespoon mild chile power
> 5 tablespoons red chile powder"
>

> It's not at all clear to me what these three ingredients are. I buy my
> spices at Penzey's or at the local supermarket, and neither has products

Penzeys sells regular, medium, and hot chili powder... you need to pay
closer attention.

> that are described as above. I presume that they are pure ground chiles, but
> which varieties of chiles? Any guesses?

I don't guess, I know. Chili powder is a blend of mostly ancho peppers,
with cumin, oregano, garlic powder, and salt.

Pure chili pepper is called "ground/powdered chili pepper".

> Also, does anybody know what ingredients are in Gebhardt® chile powder?

Probably the same as most other commercial chili powders... I prefer
Penzeys because it's fresh/potent, and contains no salt. I see no
point in mixing my own chili powder... one can always add more cumin,
more oregano, more hot pepper, to Penzeys.

Sheldon