Posted to rec.food.baking
Bob Eld Bob Eld is offline

Default shrinking pie crust

"Jake" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> I have tried several pie crust recipes. Each time I bake the crust for
> a pie shell, it shrinks away from the sides of the pie plate. I poke
> holes in the crust with a fork before baking.
> Any suggestions?

It's shrinking away from the edge and slumping because the fat is softening
as it cooks. Some people place beans, marbles even small stones on the crust
to hold it in place until firmed up. I don't bother with this but simply
crimp the edge to the rim of the pie pan as I flute the edge. I over-lap the
dough on the edge locking it in place as I make the flutes. This works
because the softened dough can't pull lose and slide down when properly
hooked over the pan edge.
Bob