Posted to rec.food.cooking
Thelma Lubkin Thelma Lubkin is offline

Default My Disgustingly Healthful Homemade Bread Machine (ABM) Bread Mix

Anne Mitchell Young <shedevil @ aloss.net> wrote:
:On 2006-06-13 22:34:01 -0700, Thelma Lubkin > said:

: I'd always assumed that the yeast needs the sugar; is that not
: correct?

I've seen that argued both ways. But the sugar 'necessary' for
that purpose, even for >10lbs of flour, probably wouldn't be more than
1/2 cup, and that would be enough for me to taste and complain about.
I don't think that an honest French bread [white flour, so no health
claims] is made with sugar. The sourdough I had bought certainly
didn't have any.

: Date sugar is supposedly a much more healthful sugar than any
: of the more processed options

How do they manage to extract the dates' sugar with less
processing than that done for cane? I find that when I bake with
dates that seem quite sweet for eating, they provide a
disappointingly weak sweet bite to whatever I've baked

: Have any of you tried Manna bread? It's usually in the freezer or
: fridge section at the health food store - it's made with all kinds of
: sprouted this and raw that..it's pretty tasty, although it's more
: muffin-like and sticky in its consistency, and it's short and small so
: you can't really make a sandwich with it. But it's tasty sliced up on
: its own or topped with nut butters!

I've tried it; I think that 'bread' is a misnomer. For me
it's cake with an unpleasant off taste.

I eat a lot of raw food, because I like it. I usually have
almonds, cashews, walnuts [I buy pecan halves 12lbs at a time, but
I've been out for a couple of months now], brazil and hazel nuts
in season. I eat just about any fruit except durian.
I enjoy raw tomatoes, carrots, sweet peppers. I wish that I could
get raw pistachios in the shell, but I haven't seen them for a while.
I don't think of raw foods in terms of recipes--I just munch.

--thelma
: --
: Raw Food: http://www.AdventuresInRawFood.com