Posted to rec.food.drink,rec.drugs.chemistry
[email protected] Jon@underthewagon.org is offline

Default Nocino and Ethanol - Help

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 10:08:00 GMT, "Robbie Hatley"
> wrote:

>"Phas" wrote:
>
>> The only ethanol I can get from a pharmacy

>You can get ethanol from a pharmacy? Are you sure it's not actually
>isopropanol?
>
>> is so called 'anhydrous" ethanol.

>The word "anhydrous" means "does not contain water", which would
>imply it's pure, 200-proof ethanol... provided it's not denatured.

All:

200-proof (100% ABV) Ethanol is not available in the wild. To reduce
the water content of Ethanol, Benzene may be added. Google for
'Triple Point'. To further reduce the water content, Calcium chips
may also be added. You might get to 99% but you really don't want to
drink any of that stuff.

The water content may be low, but the other sh*t ...................

95% lab Ethanol tastes like sh*t and so does Surgical Spirit.
Methylated Spirit looks a bit like Parfait D'Amour, smells interesting
but the Pyridine sort of spoils the taste. Trust me on that.

Regards
JonH