Posted to rec.food.drink,rec.drugs.chemistry
Robbie Hatley Robbie Hatley is offline

Default Nocino and Ethanol - Help

"Phas" wrote:

> The only ethanol I can get from a pharmacy

You can get ethanol from a pharmacy? Are you sure it's not actually
isopropanol?

> is so called 'anhydrous" ethanol.

The word "anhydrous" means "does not contain water", which would
imply it's pure, 200-proof ethanol... provided it's not denatured.
More on this below.

> I don't know how harmful the anhydrous ethanol is, used for
> making nocino and safe drinking? Is it fit for human consumptiion?

Most ethanol sold for purposes other than drinking is not pure,
it's "denatured", which means a deadly poison (such as methanol)
is added to keep people from drinking it. Check the label for the
word "denatured", or a skull and crossbones, or the words "for external
use only" or "harmful or fatal if swallowed". One or more of those is
probably there.

Why? Tax. The govt. doesn't want anyone drinking booze that
hasn't been properly taxed. This is true in most countries.
So most countries have laws requiring any ethanol not booze-taxed
to be "denatured" with poisons which render it undrinkable. So
watch out what you drink.

--
Robbie Hatley
East Tustin, CA, USA