Posted to alt.food.wine
Bob Howes Bob Howes is offline

Default Hunter Valley tourism - getting around the vineyards

"Salil" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'll be in Sydney in a week's time, and plan on dropping by the Hunter
> Valley to visit a couple of the wineries/wine cellars there.
>
> Anyone here who has done something along these lines before? I'm right
> now trying to work out the logistics of such a trip -I'll most probably
> be going alone, and don't drive, so renting a car's out of the question
> - any suggestions on what the best way to get around while in the
> Valley (from winery to winery and such) is?

I lived for a few years on Oz (and should be back there in the next few
months).

I fear that without being able to drive yourself, your only real option is
to find an organised wine tour the lays on the transport for you. Distances
are very large and public transport fairly non-existant. Taxis in small
towns will happily take you...but charge heavily for the privilege and look
for payment for their return trip even if they drop you off.

Don't forget that the Hunter Valley is about 2 hours by car away from Sydney
before you even get there.

However, the good news is that such tours are pretty common, if only due to
Aus drink driving laws. You should have a good time.

Bob