Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young[_1_] Nancy Young[_1_] is offline

Default Bone In or Boneless? Best Value

> wrote

> Usually I think boneless and still may. Not sure. I slow cooked a whole
> turkey and I did a whole chicken. The 12Lb turkey after cooked, deboned
> weighed in at 6Lbs. So you pay for 12Lbs and
> get 6Lbs. Same with the chicken. 6Lbs becomes 3Lbs. Both my chicken and
> turkey were so tender they fell off the bones. I think some people
> won't believe these figures. I actually weighed them. If this is the
> case is boneless possibly the better deal? Just want to see if anyone
> else has figured this out. Thanks, I'll be looking in.

Ditto what everyone else said, bone in meat is more flavorful.
I don't buy boneless aside from the occasional chicken breast.
Occurred to me, though, when you list the before weight, is that
the weight marked on the package? Because that includes the
package of mystery meat. Doesn't weigh much but it does weigh
something.

At any rate, boneless meat is more expensive, often by a lot,
so you have to take that into consideration. You save by doing
your own butchering.

nancy (buys boneless bacon, too)