Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet[_3_] OmManiPadmeOmelet[_3_] is offline

Default seeking advice on best method for preparing "top round steak"

In article . com>,
"Meg" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article . com>,
> > "Meg" > wrote:
> >
> > > I just sucumbed to the low price on two nice looking pieces of top
> > > round steak each cut about 1.5" thick, very lean, with a moderate
> > > amount of fat trimming the edges. In the past I often asked the
> > > butcher to grind this cut because I do enjoy it as a hamburger or in a
> > > meatloaf. The butcher was no longer on duty so I decided to take the
> > > steaks home and cut it into cubes to be used in the preparation of beef
> > > stew.
> > > I am new to this group and I thought it would be fun to get some new
> > > ideas about how to prepare this cut of beef. I find it to be too tough
> > > a cut to either pan fry or broil but I am interested in what others
> > > have prepared with success.
> > > Thanks

> > Raw, Tartar.
> >
> > Seriously......
> >
> > I use only top or trimmed bottom round to make steak tartar.
> > It's amazingly tender if uncooked.
> >
> > Otherwise, I'd use it to make pot roast. Long, slow cooking will also
> > tenderize it. Crock pot or braise.
> > --
> > Peace!
> > Om
> >
> > "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch"
> > -- Jack Nicholson

> I like your tag line a lot.
> I have never made steak tartar.. only snatched bits of freshly ground
> beef nailed it with some salt and popped it in my mouth while preparing
> burgers and such for others.

We learned to do that when we were just little kids learning to cook. :-)
I still do it.

> Do you grind your cut of beef in a meat grinder or do you chop it by
> hand, or in a food processor.

I slice mine by hand using a chinese cleaver as it holds an edge better
than any knife in my drawer. I also keep the pieces fairly large as
that's how I prefer it. Usually about 1/2" cubes.

I'd post a pic but tinypic is down right now, but it's on the home page
of the RFC website, the pic on the far right. :-)

> I know I have a hand crank meat grinder
> around here but I just can't seem to find it.

You really don't ned it... <g>

> How long and at what temp (300 perhaps) would you cook such a thin cut
> of beef to turn it into a pot roast. Do you cook it till it falls apart
> like pulled pork or can you carve it like pot roast?

With pot roast, I usually do a long, slow braise on medium-low heat on
the stove top in a cast iron pot. I cook it until it falls apart along
with the usual veggies and flavorings. :-)

Usually an hour or so is long enough depending on the size of the roast.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson