Posted to rec.food.cooking
Meg Meg is offline

Default seeking advice on best method for preparing "top round steak"

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 8 Jun 2006 07:54:39 -0700, Meg wrote:
>
> > I am new to this group and I thought it would be fun to get some new
> > ideas about how to prepare this cut of beef. I find it to be too tough
> > a cut to either pan fry or broil but I am interested in what others
> > have prepared with success.
> > Thanks

> I stab it about 30 times with my jacquard, and usually do either a
> teryaki/green onion or chipotle/orange marinade, then broil
> quickly. Then slice thinly at a steep angle.
>
> -sw

Your marinade ideas sound very good, similar to ones I use on broiled
salmon. How long do you marinate before broiling and at that level of
physical tenderizing is it possible to get a nicely browned exterior
and a rare to medium rare interior.
The slice thinly at a steep angle is how I deal with a London broil and
you are right it makes a huge difference.
I am the carver in the household; and as I have chronic wrist and
shoulder pain from making a living banging away at a computer keyboard
I don't serve such labor intensive dishes. Besides I am happy to have
had my turn with cutting up my children's food. Now that we are all
grownup around here I prefer being able to just sit down and enjoy my
meal without facing another task.
My mother was the one who taught me how to carve. She also taught me
the merits of squeezing some lemon juice on each side of a steak just 5
or 10 minutes before broiling or grilling. She was a wonderful cook who
prepared three meals a day because my Dad would come home for work for
lunch. He passed in 1999 and my Mom took a break from all that cooking.
She died at age 87 this past February. All this makes me miss her so.
I appreciate all she taught me and have sweet memories of her delight
with learning new ingredients and recipes from me.