Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy2 Nancy2 is offline

Default seeking advice on best method for preparing "top round steak"

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "Meg" > wrote:
>
> > I just sucumbed to the low price on two nice looking pieces of top
> > round steak each cut about 1.5" thick, very lean, with a moderate
> > amount of fat trimming the edges. In the past I often asked the
> > butcher to grind this cut because I do enjoy it as a hamburger or in a
> > meatloaf. The butcher was no longer on duty so I decided to take the
> > steaks home and cut it into cubes to be used in the preparation of beef
> > stew.
> > I am new to this group and I thought it would be fun to get some new
> > ideas about how to prepare this cut of beef. I find it to be too tough
> > a cut to either pan fry or broil but I am interested in what others
> > have prepared with success.
> > Thanks

> Raw, Tartar.
>
> Seriously......
>
> I use only top or trimmed bottom round to make steak tartar.
> It's amazingly tender if uncooked.
>
> Otherwise, I'd use it to make pot roast. Long, slow cooking will also
> tenderize it. Crock pot or braise.

You can also use it for Swiss steak, or even tenderize the bejibbers
out of it and make "chicken fried steak" with cream gravy. Long and
slow cooking. You could do a Stroganoff type dish with it, too - brown
the strips of meat, then cook until tender, then add the sour cream,
mushrooms and other stuff.

N.