Posted to rec.food.baking
Mike H Mike H is offline

Default How to create your own recipe

"Mordechai Housman" > wrote in
news:eDEhg.8248$nV4.1035@trndny03:

> Look, I understand and agree with your dedication to full knowledge
> and experience in a subject. But the fact remains that even people
> with only meager or no knowledge in the SCIENCE of something can make
> contributions to the practical side of it.

One need not study the sciences to have a basic understanding of them.
My son hasn't studied science (he's only 5) but he knows the basics of
the law of gravity.

> Some rather famous composers (admittedly, not of classical music)
> didn't even know how to read notes.

That doesn't mean they didn't understand the relationship of a C to an E
to a G to make a C Chord. They may not have known they were playing C,
E & G, may not have known they were playing a chord, or that that chord
was a C Chord, but they still understood the underlying principles of
this string, key, ect makes this sound which goes with this one and this
one sounds good too..

Someone with no musical training can compose, but they can't transcribe
it for others to play, and it could be argued if they KNEW music theory,
they could possibly compose the same piece in less time.

Fact of the matter is, through experiance, you will learn that certian
things bring about certian changes.

As I mentioned in my first reply to the thread.. If you know that dutch
processed cocoa is treated with an alkali to mellow out it's flavor, AND
you know what an alkali is and does, you'll know that if your recipe
calls for regular cocoa, baking powder and baking soda, and all you have
is Dutch Processed cocoa, you'll need to do some compensation in the soda
area. If memory is serving correctly, you'll want to add more soda to
the recipe to counter the alkali in the cocoa....