View Single Post
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.college.democrats,alt.med.fibromyalgia
external usenet poster

Default Wal-Mart Goes Organic

"beachpeach" wrote:

> They can go organic, they can give things away for free;

I doubt that will happen, even though brain-dead libs like you demand such redistribution of wealth.

> I still won't
> be walking in their door until they unionize

More people would stop shopping if they unionized because it would raise their prices.

> and don't have as a main
> priority, putting small businesses out of business.

That's not their priority. If it were, small businesses wouldn't be flying to Bentonville to ply their wares and get shelf space. I can find 100 small- and medium-sized businesses that benefit from doing business with WalMart for every old-time main street business you whine about shutting down because they finally have competition. WalMart isn't responsible for main street businesses shutting down. WalMart operates on a business model that emphasizes reducing costs along the entire supply chain. Main street businesses can still thrive with the competition from WalMart by offering better service. Main street businesses can also pool together, as IGA supermarkets do, to reduce their costs and pass those along to consumers.

ASIDE: Today it was announced Albertson's will soon close all but a handful of profitable stores in my area. Why? Because most of their stores are less inefficient than their competitors (primarily a regional chain called HEB, as well as Costco and WalMart). Albertson's isn't a charity; they're a business. Their employees will be reshuffled and those who lose their jobs will find new ones with the companies that can compete and make money in this market -- which will be even easier for them with the superfluous and inefficient Albertson's out of the way (customers at those Albertson's will presumably shop elsewhere, raising the demand for labor at those stores).

> I will continue to support the small farmers, co-ops and other such
> establishments and help them earn a bit of the money that they work so
> hard to earn.

WalMart sells the same Lundberg rice your co-op sells. They also sell the same Horizon and other dairy products you'll find in most co-ops (including the large one here in my home town). Same products from the same sources -- so much for your argument there. Of course, I'm sure it makes you FEEEEEEEEEEEL superior to spend more for the same products when you buy them from aimless hippies volunteering at a co-op instead of sullying your soul at WalMart. What does the co-op do with its profits? Mine "reinvests" its profits into itself. Just like WalMart!

> Screw the CEO(s) of Walmart who get richer and richer.

Not to mention their employees, many of whom participate in one of the most lucrative stock-purchase plans and quite a few of whom are multi-millionaires from said stock program. Dittos for those of us investors who believe WalMart represents a good return on investment by giving consumers what consumers want: low prices, clean stores, attentive (usually) employees, and quality goods.

> My town has been fighting the arrival of a Walmart and the jury is
> still out.

The WalMart will succeed if it shows up. Why would you deny others the right to shop where they want and do business in a manner consistent with their own values (and checkbooks)? Would you demand everyone shop at hippie-infested co-ops like you do?

> It would go into an area that has 3 large grocery stores
> within walking distance and the last thing we need is another freakin
> grocery chain.

I'm sure you're quite an expert in business management and marketing. Perhaps you should move to Bentonville and help the company understand why their business model of offering customers what they want is wrong for your location (and probably others). Lord knows they don't know their market as well as you liberal do-gooders think you do.

> It's repulsive.

Not nearly as repulsive as your knee-jerk desire to deny anyone access to a market, or consumers the right to spend their money wherever THEY want, you authoritarian scumbag.

> It's also one of the worst
> intersections for traffic and accidents. Adding this store to the
> corner will turn it into insanity land.

I wonder how the hell WalMart has done so WELL for so LONG without your being on their payroll to direct them into good marketing decisions and away from bad ones.

> Why do I think of George Bush whenever I see a Walmart????????

Because you're an emotive **** incapable of reasoning.