Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What are your favorite cookbooks? "The Joy of Cooking", "The Way to Cook"?

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Kent wrote:
>
>> I'm sure this has been asked many times before, but now and then one must
>> search for what is new, and what people think.
>> When I want to find a recipe I sit in front of our 300+ cookbooks , and I
>> almost always reach for the Rombauers' "Joy of Cooking", 1975 edition,
>> before anything else. This never ceases to amaze me. It's still the
>> starting
>> point, 300 cookbooks later.
>> Following that it's almost always Julia Child;s "The Way to Cook". Next,
>> depending on what I'm wanting to cook, are any of Marcella Hazan,'s
>> books["Classic Italian Cooking], any of Michael Field's books["Cooking
>> School", "Culinary Classics and Improvisations"]. Only after the above,
>> for
>> almost everything else, do I open any of the remaining 290 books.
>> What are your favorites? Especially newer favorites published in the last
>> 5-10 years.
>> Many thanks for any advice,

> I have found some good recipes in various sources, cook books, on line,
> magazines and newspapers. Some of the most interesting have been from
> magazines. Most cook books have all sorts of recipes that I have no use
> for and
> are pretty much a waste of time. If I could have only one cook book it
> would
> have to be the Joy of Cooking. It has more useful recipes and more tips
> than
> any other I have seen.

"In Nonna's Kitchen", by Carol Field. The author wandered around Italy,
interviewing grandmothers and collecting recipes that might be lost in one
or two generations. No pictures of the food, just the grandmothers.
Fantastic book.

"Vegetables", by James Peterson