Posted to alt.food.diabetic
DrDespicable DrDespicable is offline

Default Newish, Jewish and Bluish

I am a stranger in your country, having only recently (well, comparatively recently) come into the family curse - adult-onset diabetes. And I have to tell you folks (as if you didn't know) it stinketh, and it stinketh LOUD. When I was a kid, I was allergic to every-damn-thing - chjocolate, dairy, citrus; think of something that tastes good, I was probably allergic - but finally grew out of most of it.

Then, on the threshold of 40, my sawbones tells me I'm gonna ahve to start taking these pills (hit me with high blood pressire the same visit - this is a bedside manner?), and I have been trying to get it together. Especially after I was inadvertently off meds for about 6 weeks, my lenses swelled up and I thought I was going blind. Pfui. Now I have people telling me that even if I lay off the sugary crap and watch the carbs, there are still things (LOTS of things) that I like that somehow digest as sugar and raise my glucose. To say nothing of all the lovely yidden goodies that are not so healthy (some of it, I might as well be eating lard, deep fried and rolled in confectioners' sugar)...

Can one or some of you kind folks direct me to a site where I can get a good cross-section of what's good (for me, anyway) and what's not? That, or plans for Dr Kevorkian's machine. And is there anything I can turn to when I get the madness and must have something sweet or some other kind of munchy.

This lack of sweeties is really making me bitter. Post here for the other Lost Souls, or you can email me direct.

Cheers,
Doc