Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_1_] sf[_1_] is offline

Default for those who asked about the dolphin "fish".

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 17:40:44 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:

> Puester > wrote:
>
> >dolphin = Flipper, the mammal, often found in aquarium shows
> >
> >very different from:
> >
> >dolphin = dolphin fish = dorado/mahi-mahi often found on a plate

> Am I correct in thinking that the "dolphin fish" name
> derives from the fish's gymnastic ability, which to some
> gamefishermen resembles that of a (mammalian) dolphin?

They are definately game fish and even the little ones are exciting to
catch. I remember (as a kid) our fishing boat was in a school of them
- they were biting at everything, they didn't even need to bait their
lines. Jokes about them jumping into the boat abounded that day.

--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.