Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dishwashing liquid (environmental)

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > Does anyone use any of these products?
>> >
>> > http://www.greenhome.com/products/ho...ish_detergent/
>> >
>> > I have to wash my milk jar once a week in a environmental dishwashing
>> > soap, whether it be dishwasher or dish pan. Does anyone have any
>> > suggestions of any that might be in a regular grocery store that you
>> > have
>> > used?
>> > thanks so much.
>> > Dee Dee

>> I'm not sure what a milk jar is, or who says you have to wash it any
>> particular way. But, no matter. Dish liquids - the kind you use for
>> washing
>> by hand, are pretty much all phosphate free and biodegradable (two
>> SEPARATE
>> issues). Take a look at Dawn "original", if you want a product that's
>> tough
>> enough to clean ancient oil crud off a car engine, and has no stupid
>> perfumes or ingredients to make your hands softer. The label says "no
>> phosphates, contains biodegradable surfactants".
>>
>> I don't use liquids in my dishwasher - I use tablets, so I can't advise
>> you
>> on that. You'll have to read some labels. But, while it WAS very
>> important
>> years ago to cut back on the use of phosphate-laden products in homes,
>> that's pretty much happened because so many laundry products are free of
>> the
>> chemical now. What's left is very minor by comparison.
>>
>> Save your money. According to every consumer-oriented thing I've read
>> over
>> the past 10-15 years, "green" products are often no better than what's in
>> the stores.

> You can also cut way down on the volume of home cleaning products used
> by installing a water softener... the savings on cleaning products will
> more than pay for the water softener twice over... not to mention time
> and effort saved from not having to do so much scrubbing of soap scum
> and mineral deposits. I use tablets in my dishwasher too, but I cut
> them in half... I use half the laundry soap too.. even shapoo goes more
> than twice as far. I don't use bar soap, I prefer soft-soap/bath
> gel... bar soap is wasteful. You gals will love showering with
> softened water and bath gel... your skin will feel so slippery you
> won't be able to stop touching yourself! LOL
>
> Sheldon

Bar soap wasteful? Maybe sorta kinda. If you wanted to be picky when
comparing it to the gel, you could say that the gel comes in a plastic
bottle, which may appear to be recyclable, but in fact, is not. And, this is
for business reasons: Many municipalities are having difficulty finding
buyers for the sheer volume of plastic they collect. So, the stuff just sits
around.