PENMART01

Default egg sizes / different uses?

>(JLove98905) writes:
>
>I always buy "large" or "jumbo" eggs. I never really think about it. What are
>some uses for smaller eggs?

Exactly the same uses. Even though eggs are typically sold by the dozen they
are in reality sold by weight. In most cases the exact number of eggs is not a
factor, why would it matter if an omelet were made with 4 medium eggs rather
than 3 large eggs, it wouldn't. And often the smaller eggs sell for less per
pound, so they will be the better bargain. Professional bakers never count
eggs, they measure eggs by volume, they may measure out a quart or gallon of
eggs... you can do the same at home with a 1 cup measure. If a recipe calls
for 3 large eggs simply break them into a measuring cup and note the quantity.
Next time you use small eggs fill the cup to the same quantity. For one or two
cakes an exact quantity of egggs doesn't matter... commercial bakeries measure
eggs by volume, so regardless if they bake a hundred cakes, by using volume
measurements they will have an accurate measure of eggs no matter what size egg
they use. Btw, not all eggs in the same dozen are the same size, it is an
*average* size, remember, that dozen eggs is actually sold by weight.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon