Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nobody Nobody is offline

Default Good "premade" recipes for a camping trip?

You don't say whether you will have a stove or some other heat source
available, nor whether you are backpacking or car camping, but here goes.

For "things that require being kept cool", consider freezing everything in
plastic bags, to as cold a temperature as you can. You can make chili, beef
stew, barbeque chicken, vegetables, etc., fully cooked, and then freeze them
in heavy ziplock bags. In the cooler, these will take the place of ice, and
you can thaw them as needed, or eat them as they thaw. Freeze them in
meal-sized portions, so you never need to thaw more than you need. Of
course, you will want to leave room for some ice, to keep things cool as the
food thaws. If space is a problem, consider freezing some of your water
supply to keep in the cooler. Be careful using empty milk jugs, as if they
aren't very well cleaned, you can get food poisoning.

For things that don't need to be kept cool, again, a lot depends on room and
how much weight you can tolerate. If you like milk, you can use powdered,
which keeps almost forever. Get the kind that comes in individual pouches.
There is also "ultra-pasteurized" milk, which comes in boxes and can be kept
at room temperature. It is expensive, though, and takes up as much room as
water. Dried cereal, such as Captain Crunch, as well as granola and the
like, is durable, and goes well with the milk.

Peanut butter, jelly, and bread are great for these trips, if you like such.
The peanut butter and jelly will keep forever, while a loaf of bread usually
lasts for a week or so, if it doesn't get too warm. Along these lines, there
are lots of canned goods, such as canned pasta, meat, and other things.
Remember to bring a can opener; I recommend the "Swing-away" brand. If you
have a cookstove, you can get dried pasta, and there a zillions of recipes
out there for combining canned goods, such as tuna and cream of mushroom
soup, with cooked pasta. Dried pasta lasts forever.

There is "shelf-stable" food out there now, such as pasta and other meals,
that do not need refrigeration. It is very expensive, but practically
preparation-free, and pretty tasty.

Think about salt and pepper, and whatever other spices you like. Hot sauce
usually does not need refrigeration. If you are bringing a stove, consider
bringing at least some food that will be edible without heating; I
personally like canned ravioli, chow mein, sardines, and such for this
purpose. Stoves break down in the outdoors a lot.

oups.com...