Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brian D. Brian D. is offline

Default Speaking of Baby Backs

"Nonnymus" > wrote in message
news:KI_dg.27892$QP4.8895@fed1read12...
> Albertson's had Baby Back ribs on sale the other day at $2.99/#. I bought
> 4 racks and cooked them up for us and some neighbors that I'd noticed were
> getting a little skinny. The day afterward, I commented to Mrs. Nonnymus
> that I thought the ribs had a bit too much meat on them. She went
> ballistic and explained that meat was what ribs were all about.

I'll have to agree with the Mrs. on this one.

> My own theory is that too much meat inhibits the flavor of the smoke and
> rub from getting to the inside parts and cuts down on flavor. To me, this
> seems like a seminal issue for ribs, but I can't recall ever reading
> anyone talking about it. With a butt, you mix the brown with the white
> when you pull it, but with ribs you just get what your teeth happen to
> snag.

Ribs have a lot of surface area that gets spiced and smoked
and are thin, compared to butts.There's not much "inside parts".
When you get a bite of ribs I'd think you're snagging a bite with
more of your rub and smoke flavor than a bite of pulled pork.

> Here's my question: Given a choice, would you pick ribs with thick meat
> on them or some with slightly less meat?
>
> Nonnymus

I'd rather pay for meat than bone, the smoked trimmings come
in handy for other recipes (where's my sauerkraut??)
Brian