Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Nonnymus[_2_] Nonnymus[_2_] is offline

Default Speaking of Baby Backs

Albertson's had Baby Back ribs on sale the other day at
$2.99/#. I bought 4 racks and cooked them up for us and
some neighbors that I'd noticed were getting a little
skinny. The day afterward, I commented to Mrs. Nonnymus
that I thought the ribs had a bit too much meat on them.
She went ballistic and explained that meat was what ribs
were all about.

My own theory is that too much meat inhibits the flavor of
the smoke and rub from getting to the inside parts and cuts
down on flavor. To me, this seems like a seminal issue for
ribs, but I can't recall ever reading anyone talking about
it. With a butt, you mix the brown with the white when you
pull it, but with ribs you just get what your teeth happen
to snag.

Here's my question: Given a choice, would you pick ribs
with thick meat on them or some with slightly less meat?

Nonnymus