hahabogus

Default coconut cream/coconut milk

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
:

> Julia Altshuler > wrote in
>
>> hahabogus wrote:
>>> Coconut milk is made out of water and freshly shredded coconut
>>> flesh. The water is filtered thru the shredded coconut. This is
>>> easily made at home, but involves the hard work of getting the meat
>>> out of the coconut and shredding it , plus a cloth bag to use as a
>>> filter and a bowl to collect the drippings. It takes overnight. I
>>> have read recipes for the making of it but never tried it myself
>>> (too lazy I guess).

>> Tips to make it easier:
>>

>> The coconut will have 3 spots or eyes forming a little face at one
>> end.
>> They're the place that's soft and easy to break into. You can use
>> screwdriver. Empty the coconut water through there. (Strain this,
>> cool and drink it.)
>>

>> Crack the coconut by taking it outside and throwing it against the
>> sidewalk. When it breaks into pieces, pick them up. Put them in the
>> oven at 350 degrees for a few minutes. As the coconut meat contracts
>> from the heat, the hard outer shell stays the same size. This
>> makes it easier to separate the white fleshy part from the inedible
>> part.
>> Use the same screwdriver.
>>

>> Put the white coconut meat in the cuisinart with a steel blade. Add
>> boiling water. Process. Skip the cheesecloth and use a regular
>> metal strainer. Push through with a spoon. It won't take overnight,
>> a few minutes max. I stop after the first pressing, but you could
>> take what's leftover (someone provide the word, please), add more hot
>> water and process again in the cuisinart. Press again.

Perhaps a food mill would work better than pressing thru a metal strainer.
But this method doesn't remove the dark skin on the coconut flesh. The old
way would be cracking the coconut in half with the back side of a machette
and using a toothed device to shred the flesh while still inside the
hardened outer shell.

Mash would be the word.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.