Posted to alt.food.sushi
Musashi Musashi is offline

Default Japan faces chopsticks crisis

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> "Personally, I think the wood chopsticks are the easiest to use. The
> texture makes them easy to handle and they hold the food with less
> pressure. "
>
> -- Yes, that's true. The article above even mentions it.
>
> "Plastic and metal take more balance and allow fewer means of
> grasping; they make eating wet noodles almost impossible. "
>
> -- Nope - just takes practice. Most Viet. restaurants use plastic
> (long Chinese) chopsticks and 99% of the people there are eating wet
> noodles - pho. Helpful hint: stick yer face closer to the bowl!
>

> -- Anyway, re Ken's comments before - I've never gotten any negative
> reaction from using my own chopsticks in Asian restaurants. Today I
> was in a good Chinese buffet and the waitresses were talking to me
> about my use of Korean steel chopsticks.
> One of them was from Japan, the other from Taiwan. So I asked them if
> it was considered rude for me to bring my own chopsticks. They told me
> that it wasn't, just very unusual, since nobody does it in Japan or
> Taiwan.

Rather than debating the issue of whether to bring your own chopsticks to a
restaurant or not, perhaps we should simply remember the fact that in Japan
eating sushi with your hands is perfectly traditional and acceptable.
So much for the disposable chopsticks....unless you order an appetizer.

Musashi