Roy Basan

Default Cake texture help

(Jayne Doe) wrote in message . com>...
> I recently made a cake from a pudding-type box mix. It smelled
> terrific, but it had no body to it. It fell apart as I was frosting
> the bottom layer and would certainly never made it throught the
> ganache I prepared for the top.
> Any suggestions on how to amend a box mix to give the cake more
> density without going as far as pound cake?

They are usually weak bodied cakes due to high moisture content.
That is why I usually add more eggs to the recipe but reduced the
water so that your cake will be stable.
In that way I was able to produce a cake that is stable to covering
with icing.
Some boxed cakes used only 2 eggs and a cup or more of water.
If you increased the level to 3 eggs but reduced the water
correspondingly to accomodate the moisture in eggs the cakes will come
out stable.
Another peculiarity is some of this cakes need add water only.
If that is what you have adding eggs and oil will improve the cake
structure and strength.
Roy