Posted to alt.food.vegan
rick rick is offline

Default Sure that Organic Food is Really Organic?

"Bong" ...)> wrote in message
.. .
> Be cautious of the definition of organic food. I recall
> reading somewhere that the definition of organic had to do with
> the number of weeks before harvesting that the last of the
> pesticides was used on the product. I vaguely recall that if
> no pesticides were used 3 weeks before harvesting then it could
> be called "organic", but am not positive on these facts or the
> sources. Unfortunately I can't find that reference. So, I
> hoping one of the readers of this newsgroup can find a
> government-approved definition of organic food as sold in
> grocery stores.

Organic does not mean pesticide-free. It just means that the
list of pesticides available for use are limited to those that
are produced from "naturally" occuring chemicals. many natural,
organic pesticides are more toxic that some synthetic
counterparts, and some have to be applied many more times per
growing season than synthetics. Some also are more
broad-spectrum causing harm to non-target animals. Organic is
just a marketing ploy to charge more for tha foods you eat and
convince you to be happy to do so.