Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
a a is offline

Default lemon meringue pie - do you need the rind?

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 01:39:55 GMT, Arthur > wrote:

>CHI-MUM wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>
>>>What is the reason for grating the lemon rind to make the pie filling?
>>>Do you have to do that?
>>>I have a whole bottle of lemon juice. I'd rather use that than buy some
>>>lemons.
>>>

>> Don't do it! If you want quick and easy use a Jello lemon meringue pie
>> filling.
>>
>> If you're making it from scratch use real lemon juice and the grated
>> rind.
>>
>> MoM
>>

>I've recently discovered that the pretty lemons and limes in my grocery
>stores are coated with some sort of "edible" carnuba or beeswax product.
>No one seems to worry about it. I try to scrub those lemons whose rind I
>plan to use, but, since the stuff is waterproof, I wonder what I am
>accomplishing. Anyone which thoughts on this matter??
>

>Art

Actually, the part that you want most (aside from the wax) is just the
outer layer called the zest. Just the yellow part contains essential
oils that will make your pie taste better. Lemon juice is okay, but
the zest is the best part.

The white layer under the yellow is not needed, and can sometimes be
bitter, and not a good bitter.