Posted to alt.food.asian
minosagape minosagape is offline

Default Vegetarian Subst for Fish Sauce?

X-No-Archive

> minosagape > wrote:
>> Does anyone know what could serve as a credible vegetarian alternative to
>> Fish Sauce, and if so, where I might order it online? I make pretty good
>> Pad Thai using Fish Sauce, but only my guest get to enjoy it.
>> Thanks.

> As far as I know, there is no substitute for Fish Sauce (Nam Pla) in Thai
> cooking.
>
> You might experiment with whisking together soy sauce and a thin vegetable
> oil, although I've never tried this. Keep us informed.
>
> BTW What do you use instead of shrimp or meat in your Pad Thai?

When making Pad Thai (still w/egg), I often just omit the meat or shrimp.
Occasionally I'll use cubed sauteed tofu, from which I've first pressed out
most of the water (whole square of tufu between folded sheets of paper towel
and then placed under a heavy book).

Thanks for writing.