Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

Default Making the "éi" in "sautéing"?

(jmcquown) wrote :

> >aem wrote:
> >>>
> >> Another way that works in most situations is to hold down the [Alt]
> >> key and use the number pad to enter 130. Thus: é -aem

> >Yeah, it's called the ASCII character set.

> Actually it's the "extended" ASCII character set - the original ASCII is
> only 128 characters, the first 32 reserved for all sorts of control
> characters. The 256-character set usually used is the IBM extended set.
>
> I wish more places published tables of the character set - along with the
> details on how to enter them. A lot of people are confused. Although in
> fairness part of the problem is that it's not a universal standard.
>
> What irks me most, however, is the need to use a keystroke combination.
> Personally I've never really been able to get used to keystroke combos.
> They seem to me counter-intuitive. Which is strange given that IME for most
> people keystroke combos seem to be the *most* intuitive way of doing
> things. Computers really need to be able to get to the point where you can
> have 2 characters overlain on the same space - it would then be a simple
> matter of typing an e (or whatever) and then typing the appropriate accent
> mark (which hopefully could be incorporated into a keyboard much like a
> numeric keypad).

Unlike the complicated way it's done on a PC (Pretend Computer) where
you have to memorize the entire extended ASCII set, Macs have done
essentially what you suggest for a long time, except that you type the
accent first, and then the letter -- well, almost. Actually, you type
the most likely character to have that accent while depressing the
"option" key (a.k.a. "alt"),then the character you want to have that
accent. So for é, I type option-e, then e, or for á, I type option-e,
then a. Simple, and easy to remember.

Isaac