Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
RJP[_1_] RJP[_1_] is offline

Default Caffeine

"Rob" > wrote:

> I've heard that tea bags release more caffeine than loose tea. Does
> anyone know what the difference in caffeine levels is between a tea bag
> vs. a CTC loose tea? Or the difference between a CTC tea and a BOP tea?
> I'm hoping to find some sort of regular tea that I can lower the
> caffeine amount enough so I can still get a good night's rest.

I don't have any numbers, but it would stand to reason that a tea
that was made up of very fine particles, like most bags, would release
caffeine faster into the water. The caffeine in tea leaves is more
concentrated in small leaves and tips, so some people drink large
leaf teas, like lapsang souchong (a smoky black) or oolong in
the evening in part to keep caffeine limited.

> Alternatively, can anyone suggest a reallygood decaffeinated black
> tea? (I don't drink green tea.) Hopefully one that doesn't taste like
> decaf (though that is probably wishful thinking on my part)? I have
> been drinking decaffeinated versions of Twinings English Breakfast,
> Earl Grey and Lady Grey. They are better than most decafs I have tried
> but I still miss my flavorful mug of Taj Mahal in the evenings.

I buy most of my tea from Upton, and they have about 10 decaf
blacks. I've had maybe 4 or 5 of them, and they are pretty good.
No, not as good as the better regular teas, but decent all the same.
http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/cat...&categoryID=47

--
Randy