The Cook

Default choc chips vs morsels

"Barbara Mayo-Wells" > wrote:

>I have a crowd-pleasing quick-and-easy church cookbook recipe that never
>fails. Dagnabbit, today it did.
>
>Frosting recipe is:
>
>1 cup sugar
>1/2 cup milk
>5 tbsp margarine or butter
>1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (6 oz package)
>
>Combine sugar, milk, & margarine, bring to a boil, boil 1 minute stirring
>constantly. Remove from heat, stir in chocolate chips until smooth. Pour
>and spread over warm bars. Cool completely.
>
>Today's problem: I inadvertently bought Nestle chocolate morsels instead of
>chocolate chips (they were on sale, half price), and used them. I stirred
>and stirred and stirred -- 20 minutes at least -- and the mixture never did
>get totally smooth. Little flecks of chocolate throughout. Tasted good,
>but looked crummy, and I was hoping to impress with this one.
>
>Any ideas about why this happened?
>
>The frosting usually stays soft and has a pleasing sheen. It goes atop the
>following:
>
>CHOCOLATE CHERRY BARS:
>1 pkg Pillsbury Moist Supreme devil's food cake mix
>1 can (21 oz) cherry pie filling
>1 tsp almont extract
>1 eggs, beaten
>
>Combine ingredients, stir until well blended, spread in greased 15 x 10 x 1
>inch pan.
>Bake at 350 F until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about
>20-30 minutes.
>Frost, cool completely, and cut into bars.

I have made this recipe several time with Nestle's chocolate morsels
and had no problem. Only difference is my recipe calls for butter. I
also used to make the mint chocolate chip cookies with the Nestle's
mint morsels and the recipe calls for melting 1/2 of the chips. Never
a problem.

--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.