Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Lewis Perin Lewis Perin is offline

Default China bush and Clonal bush

Michael Plant > writes:

> Lewis 5/9/06
>
> > Michael Plant > writes:
> >
> >> Scott /8/06

> >> [...]
> >>
> >> If I'm not mistaken "clonal" tells us that genetically all the
> >> clonal bushes from the same source are exactly the same. When it
> >> comes to tomatoes and other vegetables and grains, the loss of genes
> >> in the gene pool due to cloning a small number of uniform,
> >> homogeneous varieties is now seen as a serious problem. The problem
> >> extends into such areas as lack of resistance to diseases, boring
> >> tastes, and so on. Why would clonal teas not be subject to the many
> >> ills of uniformity brought about by clonal planting?

> > They would be subject to those ills if there were very few lines in
> > use. I don't think it's come to that, at least not in Darjeeling.
> > But my knowledge isn't very deep. Karsten - are you there?

> Lew, my understanding is that when you begin an agricultural cloning
> program, and when you devote your fields to the cloned plant/s,
> regardless of the number of lines you've got, in effect and by
> definition you've limited the gene pool. So, we could speak of a
> degree of harm. We could also speak of making sure that the clonal
> doesn't completely take over the industry, that (more) naturally
> occurring plants thrive in sufficient numbers. Anyway, that's my
> take on it, based on old studies.

I'm not sure we actually disagree, unless you're saying that *any* use
of vegetative reproduction is bad. Cloning isn't different in
principle from grafting apple trees or grape vines. Think of it this
way: if you like so-called heirloom apples or tomatoes, you're in
favor of cloning. It isn't just Monsanto and friends.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /