Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,misc.rural,alt.food.vegan,alt.food
dh@. dh@. is offline

Default Anti-Vegetarian Article in Denver paper

On Sun, 7 May 2006 16:24:45 +0100, "pearl" > wrote:

>"Goo" > wrote in message .net...
>
>> There
>> are only 190.2 million hectares TOTAL under cultivation
>> in the U.S.

>'The 7 billion livestock animals in the United States consume
>five times as much grain as is consumed directly by the entire
>American population.
>..
>About 26 million tons of the livestock feed comes from
>grains and 15 million tons from forage crops.
>..
>More than 302 million hectares of land are devoted to
>producing feed for the U.S. livestock population -- about
>272 million hectares in pasture and about 30 million hectares
>for cultivated feed grains.

Wow! That's a lot better than I'd thought. I feel better
about livestock production after reading that such a small
percentage of the land used to support them is needed to
grow grain. It's probably bullshit, but thanks.

[...]
>"Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been
> poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize
> we cannot eat money." - Chief Seattle

It may have just been a stupid idea that came to him as the
result of some bad smoke...unless he was a moron all the time...