Posted to rec.food.preserving
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default What failure rate?

>>Hi everyone
>>

>>I'm new to bottling, but it might solve one of lifes problems, so I'm
>>interested to try it. I really dont want to go out and buy a load of
>>the proper jars until I've tried it once to see if it is the solution.
>>Yes I've read the FAQ. Hence my probably predictable question: if I use
>>jam jars, sauce jars, etc for just the first run, what sort of failure
>>rate could I expect? A fair rate of failures to seal could be accepted
>>for the one test run.
>>
>>Failure to seal is easy to spot on these jars, and I wouldnt let anyone
>>else have access to the jars, so I dont expect a safety problem.
>>
>>Or is this a bad bad move?
>>
>>thank you,
>>

>>NT

> Maybe no-one here has tried this? I mean reusing the lids that came
> with them, using them a 2nd time, and BWB processing.
>

> NT

I haven't answered the OP on this one but I will now. Once upon a time
we were living in a country that had no tradition of home preservation
of food. Consequently I reused jam and jelly jars and the original lids.
They will reseal but IIRC the failure rate was more than 50%, that's a
lot of jams and jellies to keep in the refrigerator and try to eat up
before they go moldy. Like everyone else who has answered I would
discourage the reuse of commercial canning jars and lids with the
exception of some of the brand name spaghetti sauce jars that actually
are canning jars and standard lids and rings fit.

My two cents.

George