Posted to rec.food.preserving
Kathi Jones Kathi Jones is offline

Default What failure rate?

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone
> >

> > I'm new to bottling, but it might solve one of lifes problems, so I'm
> > interested to try it. I really dont want to go out and buy a load of
> > the proper jars until I've tried it once to see if it is the solution.
> > Yes I've read the FAQ. Hence my probably predictable question: if I use
> > jam jars, sauce jars, etc for just the first run, what sort of failure
> > rate could I expect? A fair rate of failures to seal could be accepted
> > for the one test run.
> >
> > Failure to seal is easy to spot on these jars, and I wouldnt let anyone
> > else have access to the jars, so I dont expect a safety problem.
> >
> > Or is this a bad bad move?
> >
> > thank you,
> >

> > NT

> Maybe no-one here has tried this? I mean reusing the lids that came
> with them, using them a 2nd time, and BWB processing.
>

> NT

since I can't re-create the commercial canning/jarring/packaging environment
that was used the FIRST time a commercial product was jarred in a commercial
jar, in my own kitchen, (did that make sense?) I wouldn't reuse that jar
for my own product. Or the lid. Buy an approved home canning jar and use
the approved home canning lid that goes with it.

My time and the stuff I put in the jars is worth too much to put it in to
reused jars and take the chance that the seal would fail or the jar would
explode - or someone would get sick.....;-( It's just one worth the risk -
to me.

Kathi