Posted to rec.food.cooking
Goomba38 Goomba38 is offline

Default Enchilada Sauce

connie wrote:
> Does anyone know how to make that thick light orangegish
> enchilada sauce served in so many restaurants? I don't mean
> the deep red spicy kind, but the light orangey mild kind.

This is the recipe I use when making cheese enchiladas. The sauce can be
used for many things

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cheese Enchiladas

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Casseroles Cheese
Ethnic Mexican

2 tablespoons chili powder
2 onions -- chopped fine
vegetable oil
15 ounces canned tomato sauce
2 cups water
1/4 teaspoon cumin
dash salt
1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese
1 pound monterrey jack cheese
12 corn tortillas

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Make sauce: saute 1/3 cup onions and the chili powder in 2 teaspoons
vegetable oil.
Add the tomato sauce, water, cumin and salt. Simmer one hour or till
thickened.

Cut jack cheese into 12 long fingers. Pass tortillas through hot oil
then the sauce, to soften. Roll one cheese finger and 1 tablespoon of
the onion in each.
Put seam side down in pan. Top with sauce and bake till bubbly 20-25
min. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and bake long enough to melt the
cheese.
Top with sour cream, if desired.