Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Rick F. Rick F. is offline

Default Helpful hints for bbq

In article .com>, wrote:
> 1. Cooking Brisket: I usually cook a brisket at 200 degrees for
> approximately one half hour per pound of meat. Since a brisket is such
> a large chunk of meat and a little on the stringy side, it will often
> absorb too much smoke; therefore, I won't usually cook a brisket
> entirely in a smoker. I cook a brisket in the oven (in a roasting pan)
> at 200 degrees until it has about an hour left to cook. Then I transfer
> it to a smoker to finish cooking.
> 2. Cooking Chicken: To cook chicken on a grill, I always put down a
> layer of foil and I'm no closer than the middle or top rack. Chicken
> skin burns easy and it's hard to get done to the bone, especially
> white meat. So, cook it slow, turning frequently. You'll know it's
> done when the chicken is firm and it doesn't't bleed when you squeeze
> it. Chicken is one of the hardest meats to get just right. Practice
> times three.

Hmm.. This sounds like a bunch of crud to me.. You can cook either one
of these very easily and turn out great results assuming you've got a
decent BBQ of some sort or another.. I cooked a brisket a while back
for my neighbor and I and he loved it -- it was done 100% in the
smoker.. If you follow #1 directions above, you might as well not even
bother firing up the grill and just do the hole enchilada in the oven
and call it "oven roasted" instead.

For #2 above, I just did smoked chicken the other day (about a week
ago) on my smoker and only turned it 3 times during the entire cook
and it came out great -- the skin is there for a reason -- to protect
the meat that is to be eaten -- sure you can eat the skin, but think
of it as an insurance policy of sorts.. YMMV..

Just my $0.02 worth..