Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
Marc Frisch Marc Frisch is offline

Default Anti-Vegetarian Article in Denver paper

> Most "vegans" start out NOT knowing it, because most
> "vegans" choose that belief due to an embrace of a
> logical fallacy:
>
> If I eat meat, I cause animals to suffer and die.
>
> I don't eat meat;
>
> therefore, I do not cause animals to suffer and die.
>

> This is an example of denying the antecedent, one of
> the classic fallacies. ALL "vegans" start out by
> believing it: that's why they choose "veganism", in
> order not to cause animals to suffer and die. But the
> things they *do* consume do, in fact, cause uncounted
> animal deaths and much suffering. "vegans" seem
> oblivious to this - merely not putting animal parts in
> their mouths, and not directly using animal parts for
> other purposes, seems to make "vegans" feel good about
> themselves. It's a phony, sanctimonious, hypocritical
> stance.

It doesn't matter if it's phony or not - it's the result that counts.
By the way, many meat eaters make a similar logical mistake:

If I eat meat, I cause animals to suffer and die.
If I don't eat meat, I cause animals to suffer and die.
So it doesn't make any difference if I eat animals or not.

> > The livestock on earth consumes far more soy products than
> > would be necessary to feed all mankind. Your right that agriculture
> > causes death, directly as well as indirectly through pollution. The
> > best way to limit it is to avoid animal products (whose productions
> > wastes far more resources than the production of plant-based food).

> The resources are not "wasted". It's how people choose
> to use them. Your moral judgment that the resources
> "ought" to go to some other use is unfounded.

Where did I write that the resources "ought" to go to some other use?
I just said that eating plant-based food is a good way to reduce the
use of resources (if you dislike the word 'waste', but the only
difference
is that one of them sounds better). There are many other ways to
reduce the use of resources: not driving a car, recycling, etc.
I'm not judging anyone: I'd just like people to know that people in the
western
world consume far more resources than is sustainable in the long run.
Everyone can judge for himself if this is immoral or not.

Best regards,
Marc