Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] williammaw@aol.com is offline

Default Broken Egg In Carton

LadyJane wrote:
> Why on earth would you dispose of the eggs which have egg white on
> them?
> I would just wash the eggs affected and store them, certainly not throw
> them out.
>
> Providing the eggs are within their use-by-date, they should be
> perfectly ok.
>
> LadyJane
> --
> "Never trust a skinny cook!"

I could be wrong, but I vaguely remember what someone once explained to
me.

Eggshells are porous - pores on the surface - and can harbor bacteria.
When liquid from the broken egg gets onto shells of the other eggs, it
can potentially create an incubating environment. When you crack open
the unbroken egg with a contaminated shell, the egg white running past
the contaminated shell can come into contact with the shell and also
become contaminated. This kind of contamination can cause some forms
of food poisoning.

I cannot substantiate it but only more of a hearsay ...