Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,misc.rural,alt.food.vegan,alt.food
Marc Frisch Marc Frisch is offline

Default Anti-Vegetarian Article in Denver paper

> · Vegans contribute to the deaths of animals by their use of
> wood and paper products, electricity, roads and all types of
> buildings, their own diet, etc... just as everyone else does.

What's your point? Every vegans knows that. The fact that
you can't avoid causing suffering is not a very good excuse
to cause as much as you want.

> The meat industry provides life for the animals that it
> slaughters,

In your opinion, is the use of a condom morally inferior to
giving birth to an unwanted child, torturing it for a couple of
years and then kill it?

> Due to the influence of farm
> machinery, and *icides, and in the case of rice the flooding and
> draining of fields, one serving of soy or rice based product is
> likely to involve more animal deaths than hundreds of servings
> derived from grass raised animals.

The livestock on earth consumes far more soy products than
would be necessary to feed all mankind. Your right that agriculture
causes death, directly as well as indirectly through pollution. The
best way to limit it is to avoid animal products (whose productions
wastes far more resources than the production of plant-based food).

> Grass raised animal products
> contribute to fewer wildlife deaths, better wildlife habitat, and
> better lives for livestock than soy or rice products. ·

I disagree. Overgrazing is one of the major causes of
desertification and therefore a huge threat to the environment.

Best regards,
Marc