Barbara Mayo-Wells

Default choc chips vs morsels

I have a crowd-pleasing quick-and-easy church cookbook recipe that never
fails. Dagnabbit, today it did.

Frosting recipe is:

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
5 tbsp margarine or butter
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (6 oz package)

Combine sugar, milk, & margarine, bring to a boil, boil 1 minute stirring
constantly. Remove from heat, stir in chocolate chips until smooth. Pour
and spread over warm bars. Cool completely.

Today's problem: I inadvertently bought Nestle chocolate morsels instead of
chocolate chips (they were on sale, half price), and used them. I stirred
and stirred and stirred -- 20 minutes at least -- and the mixture never did
get totally smooth. Little flecks of chocolate throughout. Tasted good,
but looked crummy, and I was hoping to impress with this one.

Any ideas about why this happened?

The frosting usually stays soft and has a pleasing sheen. It goes atop the
following:

CHOCOLATE CHERRY BARS:
1 pkg Pillsbury Moist Supreme devil's food cake mix
1 can (21 oz) cherry pie filling
1 tsp almont extract
1 eggs, beaten

Combine ingredients, stir until well blended, spread in greased 15 x 10 x 1
inch pan.
Bake at 350 F until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about
20-30 minutes.
Frost, cool completely, and cut into bars.