Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Michael Plant Michael Plant is offline

Default Tea Blends

Space 4/27/06

> Typical British morning teas are blends of teas. Keemun is used in
> English Breakfast. The British can make a taste that is greater than
> the sum of the teas. I think doing that yourself is a waste of time.
> You don't end up with a new taste but something that brings out the
> worst of tea. I've been mixing black Puers for several months and the
> taste is less than each individual black. I dumped my last mixture
> because the amalgamation didn't even taste like cooked puer. I do
> throw in a pinch of green as flavoring but that is different than
> blending.
>
> Jim

Jim,

What you say makes sense for Pu'erh where the blending takes place before
the cake is pressed. But, I like more Keemun in a red blend than most people
do, so I think blending red teas is the way to go. With a little work you
can come up with a blend you like better than those commerically available.
On the other hand -- and I think this is what you're saying -- it might not
be worth the trouble. More typically, if I have two or more tea packets with
only the last remaining dregs, I'll mix them, sometimes to auspcious
result, sometimes not.

Michael