Posted to rec.food.preserving
Old Rocker[_1_] Old Rocker[_1_] is offline

Default What failure rate?

wrote:
> Hi everyone
>

> I'm new to bottling, but it might solve one of lifes problems, so I'm
> interested to try it. I really dont want to go out and buy a load of
> the proper jars until I've tried it once to see if it is the solution.

Very wise!

> Yes I've read the FAQ. Hence my probably predictable question: if I use
> jam jars, sauce jars, etc for just the first run, what sort of failure
> rate could I expect? A fair rate of failures to seal could be accepted
> for the one test run.

Here in the UK we might have different meaning for the words and
different items on sale, so my answer to you is as follows:

1. Bottling here means preserving in jars bottles, and canning means
preserving in metal cans, so just to make sure
there's no mistake when I talk of bottling I mean preserving in jars
and bottles.

2. If you are pickling, that is preserving items in vinegar (such as
pickled onions, pickled eggs, etc), then you need a
vinegar which is 5% and up of acetic acid in the UK this is sold as
"pickling vinegar". If you have the correct vinegar you
will be well on your way to reduce failure. If using vinegar at all,
the lids of your bottles should be coated so that the
acid can't get at metal, or be made of glass or plastic. In this sort
of bottling, you should make sure that all your
intensils are rinsed in boiling water, and warmed jars rinsed out with
boiling water. Another way is to use campden
tablets dissolved in a mixture of water and lemon juice, which when
swirled round the jar or bottle and then rinsed
out with cold water, will further reduce failure.

3. If you are making chutney (which by definition includes vinegar) then
your jars will need to be heated in a low oven for
10 minutes or so before filling with hot chutney or they will break.

4. You can use jars which are used commercially for other things
(Slendasweet jars over here make the best pickling
jars), but bear in mind the PRINCIPLES when using them. Jars which have
been used for jam or fruit preserves (jam,
marmalade, etc.) often are used for filling with preserves (as many a
W.I. show will bear witness).

5. However, when using the jars for jams, marmalades, etc, I do not
trust the original lids and use waxed paper discs
over the fruit and cover the jar with cellophane. You can buy very
easily these 1lb and 2lb jam pot cover sets over
here. To see what I mean have a look at
http://www.thecookskitchen.com

6. Beg, borrow, buy a good book. I could suggest some UK ones, but your
local library can probably help you.

The answer is that failure rates are not very high at all AS LONG AS YOU
KEEP TO SCRUPULOUS CLEANLINESS WHEN MAKING PRESERVES and also that YOU
FOLLOW THE PRINCIPLES OF PRESERVING. Once understood, you can
experiment a bit.

If you mean by failure that the taste of the preserve is not as you
would wish it....well, change something next time. Fruits and
vegetables do differ from batch to batch, and can even be affected by
the time to get to you or pesticides sprayed on them. The best way is
to get them off a local organic provider, or from your back garden!

HTH