Mark Floerke

Default Non-fat dry-milk...purpose?

The Old Bear is correct in his factoids. In Jewish dietary rules Bagels are
what is know and Pareve, so it can be eaten with meat or dairy. Fish is
also Pareve - Bagel with Lochs and cream cheese works you see, but not
pastrami and cream cheese :-)
The skim mil powder fat or not adds protein to the structure and is also a
natural emulsifier to disperse any fat in the recipe. It also aids in the
browning of the crust, richer flavour, and as mentioned softer crumb.
Replace it? Mono diglycerides, sodium stearoyl lactelate, lecithin and/or
egg yolk and sugar or malt or diastatic malt flour.

Mr Pastry
"The Old Bear" > wrote in message
news
> (Anton S.) writes: