Posted to rec.food.cooking
Food Snob Food Snob is offline

Default Best Beef cut for Burger

Peter A wrote:
> In article >,
> ost says...
> > > Waste of ribeye...

> > Not at all.
> >
> > > If you have to grind ribeye to eat it, you need a new set of dentures. ;-)

> > The OP asked what cut made the best hamburger. Ribeye is the
> > most appropriate answer. It also makes the best chicken fried
> > steak.
> >

> Ribeye is prized and expensive because it combines flavor with
> tenderness. Chuck is less expensive because it is not as tender although
> it has equal if not better flavor.

A few hours ago you seemed to suggest that different cuts did not
differ in flavor, but merely in tenderness. You wrote, " It is silly
to buy expensive cuts for
hamburger. They are expensive because they are tender, and that is not
relevant when the meat is ground." So, if chuck potentially has a
"better flavor" then what's illegitimate about using strip steak,
because I think that it is the best tasting cut of beef?

> When you grind the meat the
> tenderness advantage of ribeye goes away. So using ribeye for burgers
> results in no better results - and possibly inferior - at much greater
> cost. Hence "waste of ribeye." It's a step on the way to the morons who
> grind wagyu (aka Kobe) beef for burgers.

Chuck has a different flavor than loin, and ribeye still another.

> --
> Peter Aitken

--Bryan