Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter A Peter A is offline

Default Best Beef cut for Burger

In article >,
ost says...
> > Waste of ribeye...

> Not at all.
>
> > If you have to grind ribeye to eat it, you need a new set of dentures. ;-)

> The OP asked what cut made the best hamburger. Ribeye is the
> most appropriate answer. It also makes the best chicken fried
> steak.

Ribeye is prized and expensive because it combines flavor with
tenderness. Chuck is less expensive because it is not as tender although
it has equal if not better flavor. When you grind the meat the
tenderness advantage of ribeye goes away. So using ribeye for burgers
results in no better results - and possibly inferior - at much greater
cost. Hence "waste of ribeye." It's a step on the way to the morons who
grind wagyu (aka Kobe) beef for burgers.

--
Peter Aitken
Visit my recipe and kitchen myths pages at