Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Best Beef cut for Burger

OmManiPadmiOmelet wrote:
> Steve Wertz wrote:
>
> > On 22 Apr 2006 07:05:33 -0700, Jimmy wrote:
> >

> >>What is the best beef cut to make a good hamburger. I usually buy
> >>ground sirloin but was thinking of grinding my own; thereby ensuring
> >>freshness and flavour etc.

> > Ribeye, of course.
> >
> > -sw

> Waste of ribeye...
>
> If you have to grind ribeye to eat it, you need a new set of dentures. ;-)

Besides being too tender (makes mushy burgers) ribeye is the most
mildly flavored beef cut... it's the choice of those who really don't
like the flavor of beef... the same folks who typically only eat the
breast portion of fowl.... the better portion for burgers is the meat
that's trimmed away to make the ribeye. But better is a mix of chuck
and top round... sirloin is good too.

Sheldon