Posted to alt.food.wine
Emery Davis Emery Davis is offline

Default Grenache

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 17:26:56 GMT
"Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > wrote:

> "Mike Tommasi" > skrev i meddelandet
> > Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:
> >> White grenache is used in the white wines from Southern RHone with other
> >> varieties, though not marsanne, which is used in Northern RHone.

> > ahem. ahem....

> ... wrong? And grenache blanc is used in CdP right? Or ... wrong? Soooooooo

Just to clear this up. I know you guys know, but I found the exchange
confusing, so:

Chateauneuf du Pape:

encepagement: grenache, syrah, mourvèdre, picpoul, terret noir, counoise,
muscardin, vaccarèse, picardan, cinsault, clairette, roussane, bourboulenc.

This is the same for red and white. Note no marsanne or grenache blanc.

In the Cotes du Rhone white appellation:

Cépages principaux : grenache blanc, clairette blanche, marsanne blanche,
roussane blanche, bourboulenc blanc, viognier blanc.
Cépages secondaires : ugni blanc, picpoul blanc.

So, both grenache blanc and marsanne (blanche -- is there any other?)
are allowed as principal varietals (80% or more) in the southern rhone.

For the record and if anyone cares, for CdR red and rosé:

Cépages principaux : grenache noir, syrah noire, mourvèdre noir.

South of Montelimar grenache noir must be > 40%.

Cépages secondaires : carignan noir, cinsaut noir, counoise noire, muscardin
noir, camarèse noir, vaccarèse noir, picpoul noir, terret noir, grenache gris,
clairette rose.

The secondary varietals combined cannot represent more than 30%.

Here's my question: why the heck is "grenache" masculin, anyway?
Is that so in spanish too?

-E
--
Emery Davis